During folder reviews, the applicant's folder is carefully scrutinized, including the supporting documents such as the personal statement, letters of recommendation (eLORs), official transcripts, work experience, and familiarity with animals and the veterinary profession.
The Faculty Committee on Admissions and Scholastic Standing, LSU SVM faculty members and outside professional practitioners review an applicant's folder, evaluating the following areas:
- Letters of Recommendation and Personal Characteristics
- Work Experience and Animal Experience
- Knowledge of Animals and Function of the Profession
- Communication Skills (Quality of Written Statements)
- Contribution to the Diversity of the Class
- Transcript Assessments (Course Load, Withdrawals, Quality of Elective Courses, etc)
- Awards, Honors and Extracurricular Activities (Civic, Scholastic, Leadership, Military, Breadth of Interests)
The folder review scores are included in arriving at a final decision of recommended students for the new incoming class.
A certain number of qualified applicants are invited to interview from each applicant pool (Louisiana, Arkansas, and Out of State residents). A three-member panel consisting of a member of the Faculty Committee on Admissions and Scholastic Standing, an LSU SVM faculty member and an outside professional practitioner conduct a personal interview of the selected applicants, evaluating the following areas:
- Knowledge of the Profession (Economics, Opportunities, Trends, etc)
- Knowledge of Animals (Equine, Companion Animal, Exotics, Farm Animal, etc)
- Maturity / Motivation
- Professional Image
- Oral Communication Skills
- Professional Ethics
- Entrepreneurial / Business Knowledge
- Awareness of Rigors & Stress of Curriculum
- Work Ethic
The interview scores are included in arriving at a final decision of recommended students for the new incoming class.
ARE ALL APPLICANTS' FOLDERS REVIEWED?
All Louisiana and Arkansas residents' application folders are reviewed; however only the Top 150 Out of State applicants will have their folders reviewed.